Vet visit from hell!

Today April and I visited the vets… It was pawful! A visit from hell. April showed how much of a dog she is by wagging her tail and kissing everyone that said ciao to her, but I wasn’t as easily fooled.

April’s had diarrhoea and mum took her to the vets a few days ago in Rome. She even took them a stool sample! They said it was nothing to worry about and gave her some diegestive tablets and sent her away. Well yesterday we popped back to Milan (we weren’t supposed to, but we felt bad for dad coming back on his own for the week, so we all made the trip in the car), mum decided she should take both of us to the vet here.

Sibling Selfie

She took the new vet another stool sample and it turns out April has a parasite which is causing her yucky bowel movements. She just needs some antibiotics and she’ll be fine. In the past two weeks she’s gained a kilo and a half and the vet is very happy with her overall.

When it was my turn mum explained that she was concerned about how much weight I’ve lost. (The vet in Rome said it was just due to the heat.) The vet here ventured where no other vet has dared to go and took my temperature, then she felt my abdomen. She asked mum if I’ve ever had any blood taken, which I haven’t, and if I drink a lot which I do… Well it’s super hot! The vet decided she wanted to take my blood to test it.

It was catastrophic!

I wasn’t just going to sit there and let them stab me! They insisted I wear something that looked like it came from the set of a Hannibal Lecter movie and they had three people plus my mum trying to restrain me! I got the better of them though… Until the vet insisted I needed to be sedated. Looking back now I feel a little bit guilty because it really upset my mum, but she wasn’t the one they were trying to stab – so hey!

Blood test

The good news is my blood came back as purrfectly normal…. The bad news is I have to go back tomorrow with a stool sample because purrhaps I might have the same parasite that April has. I HATE the vets!

I hope your day was better than mine!

Comments

1. What a horrible experience, Bailey! I hope you shake it off…same to your momma too! No one likes to have either their blood or poops stolen, but if they can make it all better, well that’s good even if it’s scary.

2. Aaaarrgh. Another visit to the vet from hell?? Be brave, B. I’ll keep my paws crossed that they take it easy on you this time. I had parasites in my tummy like crazy when I first came to live with Mom. They are very contagious, but the medicine makes them go away.

3. Oh No!! I feel so bad for BOTH of you!!! Leave it to a woofie to have something hitching a ride in (OR ON) them!! Geeze!!!! Hoping you will both be ok!! xoxo catchatwithcarenandcody

4. portapatetcormagis says:

Poor you! I quite understand that you tried to defend yourself. I am sure it won’t be as bad tomorrow. After all, you taught them to fear you, didn’t you!

5. oh dear, so sorry that you had to go thru all that. Vet visits are no fun, that’s for sure. Hope all is well. Glad that April was diagnosed correctly this time though. Here’s hoping you don’t have the same “bug”.

6. portapatetcormagis says:

I hope you furry ones will soon be better!

7. Bailey. I wager that everyones day was better than yours!

8. Don’t eat or drink from the same bowls, Bailey. Hope you two feel better soon. I don’t like the vet either!!

9. Diane sargent says:

Awww….poor you. Be brave Bailey

10. Rachel Butler says:

Be sure to have Bailey’s T cell count checked as well – when ours cat lost weight and was very thirsty, they had hyperthyroidism. I didn’t see that in the blood work and I know from our vet it’s not part of the standard blood test they do. Good luck!

11. Ugh, Bailey, what an ordeal! Can’t your human bring the stool sample without you? Maybe that can save you an extra vet trip.

Liked by 2 people

12. Oh my ! How terrible for you all! I hope you will be fine, a lot of difficulty for your mom! Cheers up, I am a meezer too and my mom and vet are always concerned with my weight, up and down like a yo yo, take care my friend, and love to April, May her tummy wobbles heal! Montyx

13. I hope you both feel better soon. Sorry you have to go back to the vet. I am glad your bloodwork was good.

14. I’m sorry you’re not feeling well, Bailey. I hope you and April both get over those nasty parasites!!

15. Oh dear! What an experience for you!
    Good that your blood of OK though.
    We purr your poops are good too 😉
    Sounds like a pretty good Vet.
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

16. mitzithedog says:

I know how you feel about blood test. Why do they have to poke you so many times? Are they blind? Dogs in this part of our country have to get blood drawn every year for a heartworm test. My human signed a waiver so we only get tested every two years.

17. Bailey, I noticed they didn’t test your T4. If you are losing weight and have been thirsty, and hungry too, you may be hyperthyroid. The vet should still have some of your blood at the clinic. Ask them to run a T4 test on it to see if you are hyperthyroid. My snowhoeshoe siamese kitty is hyperthyroid and that’s how we found out; he was thirsty, and losing weight even though he always cleaned his bowl.

18. Bailey, I noticed they didn’t test your T4. The clinic should still have some of your blood. Ask them to test your T4 for hyperthyroid. If you have been thirsty, and losing weight even when eating all your food, you may be hyperthyroid.

Liked by 2 people

19. Bailey, this is all good! You have an experienced and caring vet in Milan, and you should stick with him dear buddy! Parasites are easily taken care of. Here, kitties get blood-tested once a year during the annual check up.

You and April will be right as rain in no time!! Pat

20. Ouch. No one likes getting blood tests!! 😦 Sorry you had to go through that but its all for the best! I’d second getting your T4 and free T4 to get checked out for hyperthyroidism especially if you are older than 10. But don’t worry! Even if it is, its easy to take care of I promise!

21. Poor Bailey! Artemis hates the vets too. They had to trap her in a wild cat cage where the sides move inwards and gently hold her. And she bent the needle when they tried to give her an injection!

22. Oh NOOOO! Sorry you and April have bad tummies……I just got over a bad case of giardia (parasite) and had to take YUCKY pills for five days twice a day. That was not fun but better than being sick all the time!!! Good luck to you and April…….be good and take your medication!!! Sailors need to be healthy!

Love, Sammy

23. Jill Clark says:

Bailey, the vet is only doing these torturous things to keep you in the best possible health. He isn’t doing things to be mean. Hope all goes well. Be hapay all you labs came back normal.
    Hope April Blue gets better soon. Maybe she can help her big brother not to be such a scared you cat.

24. We’re glad to hear the stabby needle ordeal says you are in good shape. (Good job making it difficult for them!) You might indeed have picked up April’s parasite so it’s best to be checked.

25. It’s important that you had a complete blood panel, Bailey. The weight of loss, drinking lots of water is also symptomatic of other things. It is good your mum insisted on a more thorough check-up. Reading over your report, they are very good values.

Last week, my Miss Egypt had to cross to the other side because of acute kidney failure, a condition she hid very well. Though she a good report last year on her panel, the testing she underwent a week ago was the complete opposite.

Your mom did you right. (Good, good job, Louise!)

26. OMG Bailey, Bengie hates vets too. Growling, hissing, biting is all fair game if they try anything sharp on me like needles or the thermometer up her you know what! Two weeks ago she had to get her teeth clean… Well you should have heard the racket until they took her away to be sedated! So we understand! Feisty hey?!