Diesel Bug strike two

Unfortunately after paying for our fuel tanks to be ‘professionally’ cleaned we set out to sea only to have the engine stop again!

This time we were in a very different situation to the first time. We were properly at sea and it was the middle of night. After checking and realising that there was still diesel bug in our aft tank we were worried about our forward tank too. Luckily it was clear and we had enough fuel in there to make a diversion and go to the nearest port in Italy. We had to crawl very slowly towards the port because I wanted it to be light when we entered… The humans night vision is terrible!

We got there and after asking if anyone had a pump we were greeted by a local fisherman keen to pump the dirty tank in exchange for the fuel which he was going to filter and use. Thankfully we managed to get it arranged and sorted out that morning.

Pumping out the tanks

Getting rid of the dirty fuel

The contaminated fuel kept blocking the fisherman’s filter. It was really quite disgusting and time consuming.

Filter blocked with diesel bug

As they say if you want a job doing properly you should do it yourself… Or get your own humans to do it! Dad cleaned out the tank and found that there was a whole section the ‘professionals’ had missed. Because they’d been in and around the tank, we think they probably dislodged the remaining bit of diesel bug that they’d missed and made the situation worse! Obviously we were really cross at their poor job, having the engine stop at 3AM when you’re at sea and the wind has died isn’t a pleasant experience, but luckily we weren’t hurt. It could’ve been very dangerous had the engine cut just a couple of hours later when we were due to be passing through the shipping lanes.

Breathing

We’re all sorted now though and after being adrift three times in two months (remember the rubbish incident?) I’m hopeful our drama days are over for the year! I hope you all have a pawesome weekend!

Comments

1. Yes, lovely Bailey, I hope and wish too your drama days are over for the year! Have a nice sailing to home, Thank you, love, nia

2. Diane Sargent says:

Wow Bailey, scary stuff….. Ask for your money back from the “professionals” !! Glad you all are safe

3. Oh my goodness! I can’t imagine how scary that must have been. At least you were not in the lanes, with those big, blind ships!

4. Glad you didn’t get cught in the shipping lanes without power!

5. Bailey, it’s unbelievably hard to get “good help” these days! So glad you were able to find the kind fisherman to come to your assistance. Well done, and hope you do not have any more mishaps for awhile!! Pat

6. mariodacat says:

Yikes. That sounds dangerous. I think I will stay safe a ddry on land. Glad you are all ok.

7. Unbelievable what you have to endure as the captain of your boat. I am glad all is well and you have a wonderful weekend! Montyx

8. I hope your dad will get his money back from the guys who did a shoddy job the first time. Bugs. Ugh. I’m happy you’re all squared away.

Purring and praying that this is the end of your problems and the rest of the trip is just fun. XOCK from your broker and sisfurs, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

10. goodness, Bailey that was a scary thing to have happen. I’m sure that this time the job was done right because YOUR humans took care of it. Hope everything goes smoothly from here on. Enjoy the weekend.

11. Glad it is now all sorted. How frustrating though!

12. Humph! So much for professionals!
    We purr this is the end of fuel problems!
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

13. I’m glad that got fixed finally! But grrr! at those humans who didn’t do a thorough enough job the first time.

14. Pauline Williams says:

Oh Bailey, you are so brave, I would have been scared out of my wits being adrift would be just an awful experience. Lucky for you that your humans knew what to do. May you have a pleasant trip the rest of the way back. You have had more then your share of excitement this vacation.

15. Nancy Davis says:

I know how frustrating can be when the “professionals” do not perform. So glad you are all safe!

16. sarledge1 says:

Oh my goodness! I’m so glad you and your humans are safe! I would have been terrified and ANGRY at the “professionals”! Hope your travels are uneventful from here on out!